Make use of apples, almonds, cheddar and a bit of maple in your salad. The result is a great savor and sweet salad, with the healthy use of spinach and blueberries to add a fresh’n’light taste. My apple, spinach, maple balsamic crunch salad was originally created as a part of the £5 Market Challenge, but it is now on my regular menu.
You can read the story behind its development here. It is a great weekend salad, decent on its own or with a sandwich.
Apple, spinach, maple balsamic crunch salad
A delicious, fresh, salad. Tasty combination of fruit and vegetables, with the added crunch of almonds and the sweet tangy-ness of the maple/vinegar dressing.
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon crushed almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 25g strong cheddar cheese, shaved
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- In a container combine the mustard, vinegar, maple syrup and olive oil, season with salt and pepper and shake to combine.
- Chop the apple into pieces, and combine with the other fruit and veg.
- In a small pan, dry roast the almonds with the sugar to crisp them up.
- Toss everything together. Enjoy.